Wednesday, November 18, 2020

MY 1040 CLIENT HANDBOOK – REPRINT RIGHTS

This post is for my fellow tax pros. 

Over a dozen years ago I sat down and compiled a “handbook” or “manual” for my 1040 clients.  It provided details on the polices and practices of my firm, identified my responsibilities and the responsibilities of the client, listed what I would need each year to properly prepare the client’s tax returns, and explained how long the client should save the return and supporting records.  I sent a copy to all my existing clients at the time and gave it to each new client going forward at the beginning of the “engagement”. 

I recently revised and updated this handbook and offer “reprint rights” of it to you, my fellow tax professionals, for use in your practice. 

You can use the 28 pages of text as intended – a free client handbook for current and new clients – or you can use various components of the text separately in free client newsletters or as free client handouts.   None of the contents and components of the handbook may be used in any product or publication for sale to clients or the public for a fee without written permission from me.

The handbook includes -

·         ABOUT ME

·         MY SERVICES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

·         MY FEES

·         YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES

·         WHAT I DO NOT DO

·         TAX RETURN COPIES

·         WHEN TO CONTACT ME

·         MY PRIVACY POLICY

·         WHAT I NEED TO PREPARE YOUR TAX RETURNS

·         RECORDKEEPING

·         DEDUCTIONS

·         HOW LONG SHOULD I KEEP COPIES OF MY TAX RETURNS

·         APPENDIX A – KEEPING TRACK OF INVESTMENT COST BASIS

·         APPENDIX B – KEEPING TRACK OF GAMBLING ACTIVITY

·         APPENDIX C – THE NEW MORTGAGE INTEREST DEDUCTION

The DEDUCTION section contains charts of Adjustments to Income, Itemized Deductions, Rental Expenses, Business Expenses.  And THE NEW MORTGAGE INTEREST DEDUCTION appendix includes worksheets for keeping separate track of acquisition debt and home equity debt with a detailed example.

The text is sent as a word doc email attachment so you can customize part – such as composing the section that identifies you, your firm and any other preparers in the firm and customizing the explanation of services, practices and policies to your individual tax practice.  It is written as a one-person practice, so the “I” and “me” can be changed to “we” and “us” as applicable.  And it is written as a NJ tax preparer, so you can add your applicable state tax requirements under WHAT I NEED TO PREPARE YOUR TAX RETURNS. 

A signed reprint rights license agreement will be sent via postal mail.

BTW – a thank you to Marc Standig EA, my former editor at “NJ Taxing Times” and long-time Board member and volunteer with the NJ chapter of NATP for his help in reviewing and “proofing” this handbook. 

The cost of the reprint rights license for this handbook is only $49.95.  Members of the National Association of Tax Professionals receive a 20% - or $10.00 – discount.  Please provide your membership number when ordering. 

Send your check or money order for $49.95 or $39.95, payable to “Taxes and Accounting, Inc”, and your email address and postal address to –

TAXES AND ACCOUNTING, INC
1040 CLIENT HANDBOOK
POST OFFICE BOX A
HAWLEY PA 18428

TTFN

















No comments: