“No need to worry, my accountant handles that!”
* I join Pete Pappas of THE TAX LAWYER’S BLOG in questioning BO’s commitment to closing the Tax Gap (not a store selling jeans with 1040 emblems) in his post “Tax Gap Closer Obama Appoints Native American Woman with No Tax Experience to Head Up DOJ Tax Division”.
Pete suggests, and I have no reason to disagree, that the reasons for appointing Mary Smith (real name?) as head US Tax Attorney at DOJ is –
1. Ms. Smith was a partner in women-owned law firm; and
2. She is a Native American.
If the only reason for appointing Ms Smith is that she is a Native American isn’t that discrimination, however reverse? And isn’t discrimination in federal hiring illegal?
* In a later post Pete provides us with a lesson in taxation on the 7 most important “ubiquitous tax concepts” in his post “7 All Time Tax Concepts”.
* Kristine McKinley is back with a new blog – YOUR GUIDE TO SOCIAL SECURITY RETIREMENT INCOME. “It's my goal to make this blog your ultimate guide to understanding Social Security retirement benefits.” Check it out.
* Richard Close, the IRS HITMAN, dispels some “urban tax myths” concerning deductible medical expenses in his post “IRS Tax Issues: Medical Deduction Myths to Avoid, Stay out of Trouble With the IRS”
* Be sure to provide your comments to TAXGIRL Kelly Phillips Erb on her Friday question – “Fix the Tax Code Friday: What About Amnesty?”