Thursday, December 31, 2009

A WHITE NEW YEAR'S EVE

My window on Thorne Street (not exactly Main Street) reveals that it is snowing as the end of 2009 approaches. A White New Year’s Eve!

This has indeed been a sad year for me and many friends and clients.

My mother went to her final audit in April. Three long-time friends and clients also lost their mother in 2009. One long-time friend and client lost his wife and another long-time friend, who as a result became a client, lost her husband. With one exception I knew well the departed relatives.

Let us hope that 2010 will be a better year for all – although it looks like my father will be joining my mother soon. It will certainly be a year of changes for me.

As is my custom I will be typing W-2s today. I had hoped to have most of them done on Christmas Eve, but I ran out of ribbon and did not have a replacement on hand. It has been difficult finding a compatible ribbon online and at local office supply superstars, but I found one at Office Depot yesterday.

While I did do 3 years in Times Square in the mid-1970s, I have not been out on New Year’s Eve in 30 years. As another friend and client says, it is “amateur night”.

I will be dining at home on “hors d’oeuvres” – a custom that began years ago when I lived with my “ex-wife” in the “country” – Temptee Whipped Cream Cheese and Ritz Crackers, pigs in a blanket, and pizza rolls. I will, as usual, be celebrating with Nosey (my cat), Jack (Daniels), Dick (Clark) and some cheap cigars!

This year I will add to the list Kenny (Rogers), as I will be watching a rerun of one of the Gambler mini-series (#4 – my favorite because it features guest spots by fictional tv Western characters from the 50’s-60’s) on the Encore Westerns cable channel before joining Dick.

I know where one of my clients will be tonight. The same place he is every New Year’s Eve. He is the person who operates the machine that actually drops the ball at One Times Square in NYC at midnight. As I “tweeted” earlier today – who else, except for Congress, would be paid for regularly “dropping the ball”?

I hope you have a “successful” New Year’s Eve and a “less taxing” 2010!

No comments: