Sunday, May 23, 2010

ANYTHING BUT TAXES - THE SPA!

During my entire career I have been preparing 1040s to the tune of “American Popular Standards”. I find that I cannot work properly without background music. It began with New York’s WRFM in the early 70s, which was playing constantly in my mentor’s office at Journal Square in Jersey City. It went on to include WNEW-AM and other NY based stations.

While Jonathan Schwartz broadcasts from the local NYC public radio station on week-ends, I know of no New York or New Jersey based station (which I can get on the radio here in Jersey City) that plays APS round-the-clock. There is WOBM 1160 AM – which plays APS from mid-morning to mid-afternoon – but it cannot be heard outside of Monmouth and Ocean counties. There are plenty of NY and NJ “oldies” stations, to which I listen on occasion, but none playing the music of Francis Albert and friends.

I have turned to the internet, listening to stations originating throughout the US. Unfortunately, as formats change and stations give-up live online streaming, I must often find new stations. To do so I turn to RadioLocator.com – which identifies by format and links to stations from all over the US.

My latest find is KFSD 1450 AM “The SPA” from Escondido CA – Southern California’s Contemporary Standards. The SPA blends the enduring standards of timeless artists with bold new interpretations from the younger vanguard. From Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Barbra Streisand, Harry Belafonte, Ella Fitzgerald, Perry Como, Andy Williams, Petula Clark, and Nat King Cole, to Diana Krall, John Pizzarelli, Harry Connick Jr., Diane Schuur, Michael Bublé, Rod Stewart, Karrin Allyson, and Natalie Cole.

Why not check it out.

Let’s hope they continue to stream APS online for years to come.

TTFN