Friday, October 19, 2012


The Internal Revenue Service has announced the annual inflation adjustments for many tax provisions for tax year 2013.

For example –

• The maximum elective deferral for employees who participate in 401(k), 403(b), most 457 plans, and the federal government’s Thrift Savings Plan is increased from $17,000 to $17,500.

• The catch-up contribution limit for employees aged 50 and over who participate in these types of plans remains unchanged at $5,500.

• The deduction for taxpayers making contributions to a traditional IRA is phased out for Singles and Head of Household filers who are active participants in an employer sponsored retirement plan with a Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) of between $59,000 and $69,000, up from $58,000 and $68,000 in 2012.

For Married Filing Jointly, where the spouse who makes the IRA contribution is an active participant, the phase-out range is $95,000 to $115,000, up from $92,000 to $112,000. 

For contributions to the IRA of a spouse who is not an active participant the deduction is phased out if the couple’s MAGI is between $178,000 and $188,000, up from $173,000 and $183,000.

• The ROTH IRA contribution phase-out range is $178,000 to $188,000 for Married Filing Joint, up from $173,000 to $183,000 in 2012.  For Single and Head of Household filers the phase-out range is $112,000 to $127,000, up from $110,000 to $125,000. 
• The upper AGI limit for the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit is $59,000 for Married Filing Joint, up from $57,500 in 2012, $44,250 for Heads of Household, up from $43,125, and $29,500 Single and Married Filing Separate, up from $28,750.

• The annual gift exclusion is increased to $14,000, up from $13,000 for 2012.

• The Foreign Earned Income Exclusion is $97,600, up from $95,100 in 2012.

I will bring you additional inflation adjustments for 2013 as they are released.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great point about inflation

Owner Cel Financial Services
IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer
Registered bonded California CTEC Tax Preparer
Please visit my website for all your Fillmore Income Tax needs.