Tuesday, May 21, 2013
WHAT’S THE BUZZ, TELL ME WHAT’S A HAPPENNIN’ - TUESDAY EDITION
* Do as I say, not as I do.!
Jordan Fabian of ABC NEWS quotes tax cheat “Charles Rangel at IRS Hearing: ‘Wrong to Abuse the Tax System’”.
As Jordan says – “Only in Washington, you guys.”
* Here is the word on refunds for those tax professionals who scheduled and paid for the RTRP test -
“Fee amounts collected for scheduled registered tax return preparer test appointments canceled due to the court ordered injunction are being refunded. Additionally, fees collected from return preparers who tested on or after January 18, 2013, the date the test was enjoined, are also being refunded. No additional refund or reimbursement requests related to registered tax return preparer regulation are being provided or considered at this time. E-mail notifications will be provided to those receiving refunds to explain the process. No action is necessary to receive the refund. A credit for the test fee will automatically be made to the account used to pay the fee. It is anticipated that all refunds will be processed by July 19, 2013.”
* The current IRS “Tea Party” scandal is nothing new. Liberals and conservatives alike have used the IRS to target the opposition for decades. Dena Aubin of Reuters takes us on a walk down memory lane in “Factbox: IRS's Rich History of Scandals, Political Abuse” at YAHOO!NEWS.
* My former home state of New Jersey is on every list of the most taxed states, with the exception of the gasoline tax. So it is no surprise that it is included at #6 in MOTLEY FOOL’s “These 6 States Tax Inheritances the Hardest”.
I was surprised, however, to find that my current home state of Pennsylvania is #1. PA won’t tax your pension, but apparently it gets you after you have gone to your final audit.
* FYI, the IRS will be closed this Friday, May 24th, as part of its sequestration furlough. No IRS offices will be operating, IRS employees will be off without pay, no tax returns will be processed, and no compliance-related activities will take place.
The Final Word-
Are dolphins more intelligent than humans?
I usually only buy birthday cards with real cats in various poses, costumes, and situations. And the occasional dog. But I found a great card with dolphins that answers the above question.
On the front of the card one dolphin swimming in the ocean says to another, “Of course we’re more intelligent than humans . . . you don’t see us caring about any Kardashians!”