Friday, May 24, 2013
WHAT’S THE BUZZ, TELL ME WHAT’S A HAPPENNIN’
* Bill Perez reminds us that IRS offices are closed today (Friday, May 24) in “IRS Offices to be Closed on May 24” at ABOUT.COM.
* Did you see my piece “Tax Tip: Summer Employment for Your Dependent Child” at MAINSTREET.COM?
* The IRS tells us “More Taxpayers e-file from Home in 2013” -
“So far in 2013, more than 43 million people have self-prepared and e-filed their tax returns from home, an increase of more than 4 percent compared to the prior year.”
In most cases in order to e-file from home these taxpayers needed to use a “box” – tax preparation software – to prepare their return. That means there is the potential for 43 million incorrect tax returns.
If you don’t know anything about the Tax Code do not rely on a “box” to correctly prepare your tax return. A “box” is not a substitute for tax knowledge, or for a qualified, competent tax professional.
* Trish McIntire does a good job of explaining the Section 501(c)(4) organization, the tax-exempt entity involved in the current IRS scandal, in “Another Tax Exempt Twist” at OUR TAXING TIMES.
* And Trish also explains “Oklahoma Disaster- Tax Relief” –
“Taxpayers in Cleveland, Lincoln, McClain, Oklahoma and Pottawatomie counties (possibly more to be added later) will be able to postpone tax and payment filings until September 30th.The IRS will abate failure to file and failure to pay penalties for taxpayers who have to delay their tax filings.
The tax and payment filings include any due from May 18th. This will include 2nd and 3rd quarter estimates for individuals and a wide variety of business taxes. The IRS will also work with taxpayers whose books and records are in the disaster area and workers with recognized relief organizations but live outside the disaster area.”
* JK LASSER instructs us on “Hurricane Season and Tax Rules to Know About”.
* Bruce McFarland, the MISSOURI TAXGUY, walks us through “Form W-2”.
* Jeff Rose gives us a good detailed listing of “Home Sweet Home: What is the True Cost of Having Your Own Home?” at GOOD FINANCIAL SENSE.
* Employers – be aware that “I-9 Form Updated – Make Sure You’re Prepared”. So says Nancy Smyth at the Sunburst Software Solutions, Inc. QUICKBOOKS FOR CONTRACTORS BLOG.
The Final Word-
After several strong drinks a woman turns to an attractive man, a stranger, sitting next to her at a Washington DC bar.
“Listen here, good looking. I screw anybody, anytime, anywhere. Your place, my place, in the car, front door, back door, on the ground, standing up, sitting down, with or without clothes on. It doesn’t matter to me.”
Eyes wide open with interest the man responds, “No kidding. I’m in Congress, too. What state are you from?”