Tuesday, January 28, 2014
WHAT’S THE BUZZ, TELL ME WHAT’S A HAPPENNIN’ - TUESDAY EDITION
Only 1 more BUZZ after this before I begin my annual tax season “hiatus”.
* Over at the MainStreet.com TAX CENTER identify the information returns you may be getting soon in “The Forms Are in the Mail: Quick Tax Tip”.
And before you begin to gather your 2013 “stuff” to give your tax preparer you should check out “What to Give Your Tax Professional”.
* I obviously understand and can support the financial argument behind avoiding large refunds, but over the years I have come to agree with Mark Steber, who, writing in THE BLOG at the Huffington Post, proclaims “BIG Tax Refunds Really Are Good”.
Mark lists 8 reasons. My support of the concept is found in #3, #4, and #7.
* Kay Bell reminds us "Tax Season is Tax Scam, Tax Identity Theft Season” at DON’T MESS WITH TAXES.
This fact from Kay needs to be constantly repeated -
“Remember, the IRS does not initiate contact with taxpayers by email to request personal or financial information. Official tax agency communications generally are in old-fashioned written form.”
* Beverly DeVeny and Jared Trexler cover the “Differences between 401(k), Roth 401(k) and Roth IRA” and provide a comparison chart.
* William Perez joins the bandwagon by offering suggestions and resources for “Finding the Right Tax Professional” at ABOUT.COM.
He has a good list of resources for your search – except, of course, for state CPA societies.
Of course the best resources are your friends, family, and colleagues.
* What the TAX POLICY BLOG says is true – “High-Income Taxpayers Could Face a Top Marginal Tax Rate over 50 percent this Tax Season”!
This is not good!
* “IRS Warns of Pervasive Telephone Scam”. This sounds similar to a scam that recently targeted one of my clients.
* Manassa Nadig explains “Moving On In Life? How That Can Be Tax Deductible!!” at THE BUZZ ABOUT TAXES.