Monday, November 2, 2015

THIS JUST IN – A HAPPY ENDING!

A happy ending indeed, however long in coming.  The client who filed his 2014 Form 1040 in early February and was told by the IRS that it could not process his refund because he was dead has received his refund check.

I discussed this case in my post “You Can’t Make This Stuff Up”.

Here is an email I just received -  

I finally have good news after nine months.  I was rewarded with a treat on Halloween when I opened my mailbox and found a letter from the I.R.S. and inside was the check with my refund plus interest since February.”

I reminded the client that, while it was good that the IRS paid him interest at a much higher rate than he would have earned in a bank, he will have to report this interest as income and pay tax on it on his 2015 Form 1040.

No comments: