Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A RESPONSE FROM CONGRESS!

Back in December I wrote to my Congress-persons to chastise them for their irresponsibility in regards to the AMT fix issue. I posted the contents of my letter here at TWTP in “Dear Congress”.

On Sunday there was a letter at my “mail drop” from Congressman Albio Sires of the 13th Congressional District in “response” to my letter.

Of course it was a form letter that had nothing to do with the subject of my correspondence. The letter did not even mention the issue about which I had written.

Here is what Mr Sires, or rather one of his staff (although under Sires’ signature), wrote:

“Dear Mr. Flach,

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your correspondence over the last year. I appreciate your taking the time to share your views with me.

Hearing from you is both important and helpful because it offers insight into your thoughts and concerns on the major issues we face today as a nation and especially as residents of the 13th District of New Jersey. I look forward to your continued input and will keep your views in mind as issues are considered in Congress.”

The letter went on to publicize his website and email newsletter. It ended, “Again, thank you for your correspondence. Please continue to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have.”

It makes you wonder if anyone in Congress actually reads their correspondence from constituents.

This was similar to a response I received to a letter I wrote to George W early in his first term to suggest a change to the tax law. I had suggested that investors be allowed to carryback as well as carryover net capital losses from Schedule D. The response was not even from himself, but from a flunky, and said pretty much the same as Sires does above – basically: “Thanks for your input. Your opinions are important.” There was absolutely no mention in the letter to the issue I had raised.

As for Sires, at least he responded. Nothing yet from Senators Lautenberg or Menendez!

TTFN

No comments: