Tuesday, December 10, 2019
WHAT’S THE BUZZ, TELL ME WHAT’S A HAPPENNIN’?
* News from the SCIOTO POST – “USDOJ- Justice Department Announces Settlement With Liberty Tax Service”.
“The Justice Department announced today that it has filed a complaint with a U.S. District Court in Norfolk, Virginia, seeking entry of a court order requiring Franchise Group Intermediate L 1 LLC, (Liberty) the national franchisor and owner of Liberty Tax Service stores, to refrain from specific acts, enact enhanced internal compliance controls regarding the detection of false tax returns, and pay for an independent monitor to oversee Liberty’s compliance with the proposed court order. Separately, the United States and Liberty filed a joint motion and proposed order that, if adopted by the court, would resolve the matter.”
I have consistently over the years advised taxpayers not to use the services of “fast food” commercial tax preparation chains like Liberty, Jackson Hewitt and Henry and Richard to prepare their tax returns. If for no other reason – these guys ain’t cheap. You pay fancy restaurant prices for fast food service.
My apologies to McDonald's, Burger King, etc. I have often received good service and value for price from fast food franchisees.
* Jason Dinesen explains “Self-Employment Tax Calculation When Income is Over the Social Security Wage Base” at DINESEN TAX TIMES.
* Sam Brunson of THE SURLEY SUBGROUP blog provides us with “Taxing Student Athletes: An Explainer”.
* Jeff Stimpson quotes me in his article “Take it away: Helping clients with withholding” at TAXPRO TODAY.
* A timely warning for the season from the IRS – “Taxpayers should watch out for gift card scam”.
* For those who are interested, KIPLINGER.COM lists “15 Things Snowbirds Can Do to Be Taxed as a Florida Resident”.
* Check out my latest post at AMERICANS FOR COMMON SENSE. I explain why “The Tax Code Must Be Destroyed”.