Thursday, May 10, 2007


If you haven’t received your federal or state refund check yet don’t call or email me (if I prepared your return) or your tax professional - there is nothing we can do.

The first thing you should do is to look at your copy of the return to see if you requested direct deposit of the refund. If you have done so, check your most recent bank account statement or access your account online to see if the refund was deposited. You will not receive a written acknowledgement of the direct deposit from your “uncle(s)” or the bank – the money will just appear in your account.

If it has not been directly deposited, or elected to receive a check, do the following:

· You can check the status of your federal income tax refund online. Click on HEY DUDE, WHERE’S MY REFUND in the right hand margin of this page. Or go to the IRS website and click on “Where’s My Refund?” Or you can call 1-800-829-1954.

· To check on a NJ state income tax refund, call the Automated Refund Inquiry System from a touch-tone phone at 1-800-323-4400 (within NJ, NY, PA, DE, and MD) or 609-826-4400 (from anywhere else).

You can also perform an
online search to determine if your NJ refund was returned to the Division of Taxation by the Post Office due to an invalid mailing address. If your refund check was returned you can submit an online claim form.

· You can check the status of your NY state refund online. Go to and click on “online” under the heading “Income Tax Refund Status Inquiry”. Or you can call 1-800-443-3200.

For any other state you should go to the website of the appropriate state tax agency.

You must wait at least eight (8) weeks after mailing your return to check on its status. Have your copy of the tax return in front of you when you call or go online as you will need information that is on the return.

If you are told that your return has not been received, contact me, or your preparer, to prepare a duplicate return.

If you are told that your refund has been issued but you have not received it, follow the instructions provided to request a new check.



Anonymous said...

That was really helpful, thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

Not really helpful. I have done all that. For the first time in years NJ owes me, what I consider, a nice amount of money. I had to pay NYC, which I did right away, and my tax guy has called NJ a few times already. Once a few weeks back, they asked for another copy of my W2's which he sent again. Now they are asking for them again because "they can't find them". My tax guy says it is all a stall tactic. What can I do? I need this money to help pay some of my daughters college Freshman tuition which is due soon.