Wednesday, October 30, 2013

WHAT’S THE BUZZ, TELL ME WHAT’S A HAPPENNIN’ - WEDNESDAY EDITION


A day late – but certainly not a dollar short!

* My year-end tax planning series at MAINSTREET.COM ends with “Year-End Tax Advice: Essential 2013 Knowledge” and “What's New for Federal Income Taxes for 2013?

* Speaking of year-end tax planning PARKER PUBLISHING gives us sample Year-End Client Letters for Individuals and Businesses.   

* Oops!  Did I forget to mention that I am quoted in Jeff Stimpson’s TAXPRO TODAY piece “Late Filers a Major Challenge”?

* I am also quoted in TAXPRO TODAY’s weekly “In the Blogs” installment “Quiet, Please”.

* TAXGIRL Kelly Phillips Erb has released Podcast 1.06 – “This Week In Tax News + Same Sex Marriages”.

* And, proving once again that bloggers love lists, Kelly offers “10 Things You Need To Know About Getting Married& Taxes at her “normal” FORBES.COM location.

* TIGTA (Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration) continues to find fault with the IRS.  Kay Bell tells us about the latest TIGTA study of IRS practices in “Almost 700 IRS Contractors Owe $5.4 Million in Back Taxes” at DON’T MESS WITH TAXES.  

* Good advice from the JOURNAL OF ACCOUNTANCY – “Write It Down: The Importance of Documenting Oral Advice”.

Based on the source of the item, it is obviously written for the accountant providing the advice -

When oral advice becomes client-specific, it is best to record the discussion in a written correspondence with the client.”  

However it also applies to the client receiving the advice.  Get your accountant to put your question and answer in writing – even if it is in an email.

I discourage clients from calling me with questions.  I want them to email the question to me – so I can better understand the question - and I provide a written, documented response via return email. 

When a client cannot reach me by phone and send me an email saying, “I have a question.  Please call me” I respond by email telling them to email me the specific question(s).  I answer the question via email, so we both have a hard copy of what was asked and how I answered.  I tell the client that I will call if they want clarification – but I would still prefer to carry on the “conversation” via email.

* A blast from the past from Jim Blankenship at GETTING YOUR FINANCIAL DUCKS IN A ROW reminds us that “Medicare is Not Automatic” –

If you’re nearing age 65, there’s something you need to know:  unless you’re currently receiving Social Security benefits (having filed early), you need to take action to make sure you receive your Medicare benefits in a timely fashion.”

TTFN

No comments: